MA in Conflict Resolution wins Innovation Award
On February 7, 2014, the Illinois Council on Continuing Higher Education named Dominican University’s Master of Arts in Conflict Resolution the Innovative Initiative for 2014. The award honors programs that best satisfy these criteria:
- Contributes to the purpose of ICCHE.
- Meets a need in the community served by the institution.
- The impact (on the institution, personnel, administration, budget, , community, etc.).
- Uniqueness to continuing higher education.
- Ease of replication of this initiative.
Matt Hlinak, assistant provost for continuing studies and special initiatives, accepted the award on behalf of the university. He encouraged other institutions to develop academic programs that closely align with their mission, to seek out external partners to provide practical experience and to try alternative delivery methods.
The MA in Conflict Resolution trains professional mediators and others interested in peace-building for rewarding careers. Offered in cooperation with the National Mediation Board, the program uses a convenient low-residency model, which combines five-day intensive courses with distance learning.